You are here
Home > FEMA news > Survey: should car drivers be allowed to ride a light motorcycle?

Survey: should car drivers be allowed to ride a light motorcycle?

The current focus of the European mobility strategies is on public transport, cycling and walking. However, public transport will never reach everywhere in urban areas and cycling and walking are only possible for limited distances. There will always be a need for individual motorised personal transport. FEMA foresees a growing role for powered two-wheelers, especially motorcycles, instead of cars.

In some European countries, car licence holders (B licence) are allowed to ride an A1 motorcycle, a motorcycle of 125cc (see more info below).



A1 motorcycles are bikes with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres (7.6 cu in) and a power not exceeding 11 kilowatts (15 hp); and motor tricycles with a power not exceeding 15 kilowatts (20 hp).

An A1 licence can (in most countries) be obtained from the age of 16 years (17 years in the UK, 18 years in Denmark, Greece, Belgium and the Netherlands).

B licence holders in the following countries are allowed to drive A1 motorcycles within their own country:
– Czech Republic (only motorcycles with automatic transmission)
– Italy (after a training of 10 hours)
– Latvia (after a training of 10 hours)
– Malta (after a training of 10 hours)
– Slovakia (after two years and only motorcycles with automatic transmission)
– Spain (after three years)
– Poland (after three years)
– Portugal (at least 25 years old or additional licence for mopeds)
– Belgium (only with a Belgian Driving Licence, after two years)
– Austria (after five years, training of 6 hours)
– France (after two years, a training of 7 hours)
– Luxembourg (after two years, training of 7 hours)
– United Kingdom (Compulsory Basic Training), a practical training without exam is needed

Source: Wikipedia

Top photograph courtesy of Testmotor