Our Italian member Comitato Coordinamento Motociclisti (CCM) let us know that after the sound restrictions for motorcycles in Tyrol now also in Trentino the provincial government has taken measures.
Tourists going to the Dolomites will have to be extra careful this year. The provincial government of Trentino (Italy) has established a maximum speed limit of 60 km/h on some road sections in the Dolomites that are particularly popular in the summer, especially to motorcyclists. The speed limit will generally apply to all vehicles, while on some specific routes they will only apply to motorcycles. The restrictions are effective from Saturday 25 July and will be valid for the whole summer.
It must be said that, according to a news item in the local newspaper TrentoToday the lower speed limits didn’t do much good for road safety. The newspaper reports a dozen accidents with injured motorcyclists on the Trentino mountain roads on Saturday and five more on Sunday morning in the first weekend after the new speed limits came into force. 42 motorcycles were stopped and six were fined for speeding.
A maximum speed limit of 60 km/h, in both directions, has come into force for all vehicle categories along the following road sections:
- SP85 of Monte Bondone: from the connection with the SS 45 bis Gardesana Ovest, passing through Sardagna, Candriai, Vaneze, Norge, Vason, Viote, Lagolo, up to the end of the road, corresponding to the intersection at the roundabout with the SP84 of Cavedine and the SP251 of Ponte Oliveti, in the municipalities of Trento and Madruzzo.
- SP25 of Garniga: from the end of the inhabited center of Garniga Terme, passing through Garniga Vecchia, to the end of the road in Viote, corresponding to the intersection with the SP85 of Monte Bondone, in the municipalities of Garniga Terme and Trento.
- SP 3 of Monte Baldo: starting just upstream of the end of the town of Brentonico, passing through San Giacomo, San Valentino, Graziani Refuge, Bocca di Navene, Dossioli, up to the border with the province of Verona, in the municipalities of Brentonico and Avio.
- SS 240 of Loppio and Val di Ledro, in the stretch of Val D’Ampola, up to the beginning of the city limits of Storo, in the municipalities of Ledro and Storo.
Next to the new speed limits for all traffic, for the following routes a maximum speed limit of 60 km/h has come into force for motorcycles only, in sections not already subject to a lower limit of 50 km/h (valid for all vehicle categories):
- SS42 del Tonale and della Mendola: in the stretch between the end of the inhabited center of loc. Passo del Tonale, passing through Vermiglio, up to the beginning of the city limits of the municipallity of Forges.
- SP31 of the Manghen Pass: in the stretch between the beginning of the pass, at the intersection with the SP65 Panoramica della Valsugana, passing through loc. Calamento, Passo Manghen, loc. Ponte Stue, loc. Canton, up to the intersection with the SP232 of Fiemme direction Molina, in the municipalities of Telve and Castello-Molina di Fiemme.
Written by Dolf Willigers
Photographs: TrentoToday & Dolf Willigers